Cape Coral Flood Zones

What are flood zones?

Flood zones determine the premium for flood insurance rates and set construction standards for parcels located in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), commonly called the FEMA floodplain. The SFHA is an area that could be inundated by a flood event, with a 1 percent chance of reaching or exceeding the Base Flood Elevations (BFE) in any given year.  This is also called the 100-year flood.Flood zones in the Special Flood Hazard Area begin with V or A.  Most mortgage lenders require flood insurance in these zones. Insurance rates are calculated using the Base Flood Elevation (BFE). 

  Flood insurance is mandatory if:

  • Your property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (the entire Town of Fort Myers Beach)
  • You have a federally backed mortgage on a home in a high risk area
  • You have received a federal grant for previous flood losses and you wish to qualify for future aid

A flood policy can cover:

  • Flood debris cleanup
  • Structural damage (walls, ceilings, floors, stairways, etc.)
  • Household appliances/utilities damaged by floodwater
  • Wall to wall carpeting, tile and other flooring surfaces

Contents coverage can cover:

  • Furniture
  • Collectibles, artwork, knickknacks
  • Clothing, shoes, accessories, jewelry, etc.

Added coverages may be available for dislocation expenses such as rent, hotel stays, meals, etc.
The maximum coverage limits under a standard flood policy are $250,000 for a single family home structure ($500,000 for businesses) and $100,000 for single-family home contents (500,000 for businesses). The contents coverage limit for a renter is $100,000. 

Click below to input your address and locate your flood zone. Abbreviate the street suffix in your search:

(123 Edison Ave)

My flood Zone?

What is my insurance rate?

Federally-backed mortgages require flood insurance for those properties with structures located within an A, AE, or VE Zone.  Flood insurance may be obtained at a preferred rate for properties with structures within an X Zone.

Click below to get further information on each zone and what they requires.

Flood Zones Clearly Defined


The closer to the water you are, the more likely you will need flood insurance. Flood insurance does not cover a broken water pipe. It is strictly for "rising water". 

Due to the nature of the map scales, accuracy, precision, and spatial and non-spatial data integration, this data may not reflect current and/or accurate conditions. This data was produced from records of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other government agencies. The Flood Zone data provided herein do not reflect revisions to the FIRM by FEMA through the issuance of Letters of Map Revision (LOMR), Letters of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letters of Map Revision Based on Fill (LOMR-F). 

FEMA Flood Map